Even if you’re not a fan of pie, this blueberry filling will not disappoint. Made with easy to find ingredients and whipped up in 15-20 minutes, this ooey-gooey filling will make your pie everyone’s first choice for holiday desserts.
Well, Thanksgiving 2018 has come and gone. Now begins my all-time favorite part of the year; the Christmas season. Lights, carols, ornaments – but more importantly, the greatest thing about Thanksgiving carries over to this part of the year; pie. While I was never really a big fanatic for pie, I did appreciate the balance between intricate crusts and the not-too-sweet fruit fillings of homemade pie (from scratch!).
A few quick notes about this filling: it does not contain gelatin. This means that it doesn’t ‘slice clean’. It’s a gooey filling that is messy – like the best fillings are! Another note: you can use either cornstarch or flour to thicken the filling. I personally prefer flour only because I’m used to it. Cornstarch does the trick, too.
The Ultimate Not-Too-Sweet Blueberry Pie Filling
This blueberry pie filling is not-too-sweet, it’s just right. Paired with a flaky, buttery pie crust, you’ll have a pie that won’t disappoint your family and friends this holiday season.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Filling for one 9-inch pie 1x
- 5 cups of blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 9 leveled tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium sized saucepan combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and water until sugar dissolves. Heat over medium high. Add in 3 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Quickly add in the vanilla extract and stir.
- Remove from the heat. Add butter, lemon juice and remaining 2 cups of blueberries; stir until butter is melted.
- Cool the filling and pour into an unbaked pastry shell. Bake according to pie crust recipe.