This post and recipe contains alcohol and should be enjoyed responsibly only by those over 21 years of age.
Welcome 2018! I can’t believe that we’re already two days deep in the new year. After spending a deliciously lazy New Year’s day reading cookbooks and drinking hot chocolate, it’s finally time to get back to work. I’m sure everyone (with a heavy heart) is heading off to work today. But January is actually such an exciting month. It’s a month of new intentions, life changes, and motivation.
Before we get to all the healthy eating, I thought I’d share our New Year’s Eve Cocktail – which was so unique and delicious. This Matcha, Mint & Lime Vodka Cocktail is like no cocktail I’ve ever had before! Inspired by Matcha Mint Juleps, this drink is zesty, sweet, and wonderfully boozy.
So, for any post new year weekend soirées coming up, whip up a jug of this cocktail for a très gourmet drink! I’m told matcha is one of the ‘hot’ food trends of 2018 – something I didn’t know before I made this pitcher!
I’m kind of embarrassed to admit that I didn’t know what matcha was until a few weeks ago! Matcha powder is finely ground from specially grown green tree plants. It’s usually mixed with a bamboo brush and dissolved in water until it froths (you can use a teaspoon as well). Matcha literally means ‘powdered tea’. The plants are shaded before harvesting and dried before processing which gives matcha powder that lovely deep green color.
Topped up by your favorite fizzy soft drink, this tangy, minty drink is going to be the hit of your dinner party!
A quick word about taste: this isn’t a fruity kind of cocktail – if you love the taste of green tea and matcha, you will definitely enjoy this. The mint adds a cool, slightly bitter flavor that pairs beautifully with the vodka, ice, and the fizzy soda!
Matcha, Mint & Lime Vodka Cocktails
A refreshing, delicious gourmet drink: matcha, mint & lime vodka cocktail served with fresh mint and fresh lime! It’s tangy and fizzy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 large pitcher 1x
- 2 tablespoons organic matcha powder
- 4 tablespoons cold, filtered water
- 1 lime, juiced (peel long rinds for garnish)
- 3–4 large mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon powdered or granulated sugar
- 4 cups lemon-lime soda (Sprite works)
- 4 oz. of your favorite vodka
- In a small bowl, whisk together the matcha powder and filtered water together until a watery paste forms. Add the lime juice to the bowl and whisk to combine, again.
- In a mortar and pestle, muddle the mint and sugar together until the juices from the mint leaves release. Add the crushed mint and sugar to the matcha powder mixture and mix with a spoon.
- In a large pitcher, add the matcha mixture and vodka. Stir with a bar spoon to combine. Add the soda slowly and stir while pouring in the soda.
- Serve cocktails over ice. Garnish with lime rind and mint leaves.