My wisdom tooth is coming in…a precursor to my twenty-second birthday next week, I suppose. I truly hope this means that I will, in fact be getting a little extra wisdom before finishing this semester (midterm panic settling in). Unfortunately, this new addition to my mouth is making it a little difficult to enjoy food during my birthday week – don’t worry though, I’ve still found a way to treat myself. Exhibit A, below.
If you can’t tell already, I absolutely love cookies. Have you tried my Maple Walnut Cookies? This morning, I was in a baking mood (seriously, when am I not?!), and was hit with a pleasant surprise; I had all the ingredients required to make the most delicious Double Chocolate Strawberry Cookies. I made the first batch soft, and almost cake-like so I could enjoy them- and enjoy them I did!
Using dates to sweeten desserts is my favourite trick; one, because it ensures that I don’t have to use refined sugar, and two, because dates pair surprisingly well with chocolate! If you’ve ever tried making my date sweetened brownies (oh, for fudge’s sake!), you’ll know what I’m talking about!
These cookies are not classically crunchy, but pillowy and soft- I described them as cake-like earlier, and you can see the texture pictured, above.
In truth, the addition of strawberries was to just use the strawberries before they went bad but they added the perfect amount of sweetness to this cookie which is very low on sugar on its own.
Disclaimer: don’t expect a Betty Crocker level of sweetness here – because you’ll be disappointed. This dessert is for people who are genuinely trying to cut down on refined sugar and create a routine and habit of eating desserts with low sweetness. Because I’ve only been eating desserts that have little or no sugar, I’m quite used to this now!
If you are finding that the batter is not sweet enough for you, add more dark chocolate chips or even a little honey to the batter.
Date Sweetened Double Chocolate Strawberry Cookies
A soft and pillowy cookie packed with fresh strawberry chunks, and dark chocolate chips! The perfect low sugar dessert!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 16
- Total Time: 31
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup water, boiled
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7 pitted dates
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup dairy free milk (or regular milk)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (add less or more depending on your taste)
- 7 strawberries, chopped
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour and baking soda
- In a separate bowl, dissolve cocoa powder in boiling water and submerge your dates in the mixture for a few minutes. Mix in vanilla extract
- In a small blender, blend dates, and cocoa mixture until smooth and transfer back into original bowl
- Add one large egg and ¼ cup of milk (dairy free or otherwise) and whisk together
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until a thick batter has formed. Add in chopped strawberries and chocolate chips
- Drop one tablespoon of batter for each cookie one inch apart and bake for 15-17 minutes
- Serving Size: 12