Y’all are in for a treat today! These cookies are honestly so delicious that I’ll have to make a smaller batch next time (it’s likely that you’ll eat a few more than you initially anticipated). I’m not going to wow you by saying this is a healthy cookie. It’s not healthy, but as always, you can control what you put into it. I thought ahead and made them when I knew there’d be other people around to eat them. I remember to portion control, and it’s not best to have more than two of these in a day. I slipped up and had three, oops!
PS. Do you love the photographs? Believe it or not, these were taken at night! Stay tuned later in the month for a post on food photography and how I built my very own imaging light for under $50.
So why is this cookie different from all the other cookies out there? Coconut oil, that’s why. I am obsessed with coconut oil. It has helped me in some amazing ways: it has improved my skin tone (I use it as a face cream at night), tamed my humidity hair (I use it as a hair mask), and ensured no dry skin in the summer heat (I use it as a moisturizer). While the topical uses are numerous, it’s also an oil that can be used in baking and cooking. It is aromatic and leaves a lovely, light coco-nutty flavour which pairs amazingly with dark chocolate. I use unrefined, virgin coconut oil. I’m going to note something important – many people say that coconut oil is healthier than butter. I believed it too, however, there is no substantial evidence to show that this is true. The reason I used coconut oil is:
1. Because I had no butter
2. I love the flavour and smell
3. I am testing out Dairy Free recipes for my sister who is lactose intolerant
I worked off of an amazing recipe I found on AllRecipes. In my recipe, I used less sugar than I would normally have because I am trying to limit my intake of sugar, and again, I used coconut oil instead of butter. Each cookie in the full sugar recipe is 168 calories. Each cookie in the reduced sugar recipe is 151 calories.
Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
Amazingly aromatic Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip cookies: Dairy Free
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar (3/4 cup brown sugar for reduced sugar)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (1/4 cup white sugar for reduced sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut oil, brown sugar, and white sugar
- Add in the egg and egg yolk, and mix thoroughly, add in vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined
- With a wooden spoon, stir in dark chocolate chips
- Scoop 1 rounded tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet lightly press your thumb onto the top to flatten slightly
- Place each cookie dough ball 1 inch apart and then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown
- Serving Size: 24
HELPFUL TO HAVE
This post contains affiliate links, purchasing via these links supports R&M. I only recommend products that I love!