I know what you’re thinking: this cannot be “healthy.” If you’ve ever actually eaten traditional schnitzel, you know it is generally fried and as a result, deliciously crispy. But, when you want to avoid the large amounts of oil involved in deep frying and still treat yourself, this alternative is the way to go. Baked, not fried, but still crispy: amazing, right?
I’ll start off by saying I visited my sister in Austria a few years ago, and I’ve had the real thing. Maybe it was the ambiance and thrill of actually eating Schnitzel in a Viennese restaurant at 11PM, but it was one of those times, I remember being perfectly satisfied with my meal. And all of a sudden, the obsession with schnitzel began. Here’s a picture of me enjoying some raspberry lemonade after wolfing down a huge plate of schnitzel at the aforementioned Viennese restaurant. Don’t I look happy? I’ll talk about the Sacher Torte in a different post…it needs its own post. For now, I am satisfied with this hot plate of baked schnitzel: digging in now!
Chicken Schnitzel: The Healthier Version
Crispy and juicy chicken schnitzel made without guilt!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35
- 1 chicken breast sliced thinly in half
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 slices of a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and then wash and clean the chicken breast, and filet in half carefully with a meat knife so that each slice is one thin piece.
- Lay each slice of the chicken breast on a cutting board and lay saran wrap over it and use a meat tenderizer or a rolling pin to pound each slice into a 1/8 inch consistent thickness.
- Beat the egg very well in a bowl (for a little extra burst of flavour, add in a splash of soy sauce)
- In a shallow dish, mix together breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder
- Dip each slice of chicken in the egg and let it drip out. Roll in the bread crumb mixture and press in crumbs. Repeat this process again for double breading! Do this for the other slice of chicken as well.
- On a cookie sheet, lay out some parchment paper and brush your chosen oil and lay each breaded slice and drizzle top of chicken breast with oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes on one side (enjoy the delicious smell) and use a spatula to flip each piece over, drizzle remainder of oil on top, and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with lemon slices or wedges
- Serving Size: 2