An Indian kitchen is fully stocked with colourful, aromatic spices. Unfortunately, my own kitchen lacked the spices that I grew up with; it’s finally time to change that! Today, I’m happy to report that beautiful blends of turmeric, jeera, tomatoes, and garam masala worked in harmony to make my all time favourite Indian dish (so common- some may say): classic, butter chicken.
True, there are hundreds of lesser known Indian dishes that need recognition, but butter chicken will always remain my favourite! What’s not to love?? If you’ve tried butter chicken, you know that the main attraction is the rich, creamy, gravy. And usually, butter chicken is just that: rich and creamy. Not exactly a recipe that cleanses your insides. Try this alternative; it’s all the things you love about butter chicken- except, no butter, no cream, I promise.
A successful butter chicken (in my opinion) has a 2-1 ratio of gravy to chicken, and is best served with soft buttery naan. The sauce can be doubled or halved according to your preference!
To all my vegetarians out there: you don’t have to miss out on this incredible sauce! Substitute the chicken in this recipe for a can of drained chickpeas, and voila, Butter Masala Chickpeas! This is every bit as delicious!
By the way- it’s 380 calories per serving! Can you even believe it?! Recipe Tip: This recipe is so fast, that it’s easier to have all the ingredients measured out before you start making it.
Stay tuned for a special recipe on Homemade Garlic Naan! What do you eat butter chicken with, naan or rice?
Butter-free Butter Chicken
Creamy and spicy butter chicken without cream or butter!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup 1% plain yogurt
- ½ cup water
- cilantro, to garnish
- Heat a large wok on medium-high heat and add oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add in garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes until garlic is aromatic.
- Add in the tomato paste with 1 teaspoon of water, brown sugar, cumin seeds, garam masala, chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt and cook for a few more minutes. A paste will form
- Add in chicken cubes and stir well to coat
- Add yogurt and water and cook in the liquid sauce until it thickens and the chicken is done (8-10 minutes)
- Garnish with cilantro if desired
- Serving Size: 3